If you have a passion for painting and are looking for a good source of income, then why not take advantage of that talent and passion for painting and start a painting and decorating business. If you would think about it, painting jobs would require extreme patience, practice and precision. Painting is no easy job but, since painting is such a time-intensive job, homeowners who want to have their houses repainted and redecorated would just opt to hire professional services from a painter.
Since you love painting, this gives you a great advantage and position to start a painting and decorating business. However, this business also has its ups and downs. Here are the pros and cons to starting a painting and decorating business courtesy of Arthur Fitzhugh, the namesake of Arthur Fitzhugh Decorating.
- Besides starting a business around an activity you enjoy doing, you’ll also be open to some advantages.
- First, starting a painting and decorating business is easy and could be done as a part-time business.
- One of the biggest benefits of starting this type of business is that it only has minimal startup costs. You don’t have to spend much to start a painting business.
- You’ll be able to develop your talent, have fun and be creative!
- You have the option to specialize in a particular service. You can make faux painting, adding special finishes and providing historically authentic painting as your specialty.
- When you start a painting business, you should know that you’ll also be open to franchising opportunities for your business.
- If you wish to add more income, you can add related services such as adding wallpapers.
- You have a wide target range from multitudes of homeowners, builders, landlords and even interior designers.
- Unfortunately, painting and decorating businesses have their share of advantages.
- You must always be in good health because painting and decorating is a very physical work.
- You may face a lot of competition.
- There is a chance that some of your work would become seasonal.
- You would really need to work hard to provide effective service.
- Your type of work is a subject to the health of the economy. If the economy is not doing well, you may face a bit of slowed progress.
- You would need to have extensive knowledge regarding painting, paints, primers, solutions, etc.
- It is required for you to get your own supplies and equipment as well as a business license, insurance and bonding.